Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Haha to Bentō




When I was younger; in about 7 to 17 years old, Mom used to prepare lunch box for me and sometimes for my sister. My sister didn't like the routine so much and I was left as the only one who still bringing home-made food to school. Some of my friends thought I was lucky and some said it was weird. I didn't really care much as I know how unhealthy the canteen’s foods are. And most of them can't even pleased my need for proper hygiene in foods.

Nowadays in my campus life I still love lunch box. Mom knew her daughter well so almost every time she gives me a visit she would bring along home-made meals for me. So does my sister. Well, when you’re far away from home you’ll sure miss mommy’s cooking. Even my sister couldn't deny it.

As I grew up, I just happened to love making lunch box for myself as well. It is still uncommon for Malaysian citizens to see anybody bringing their home-made lunch. Thus whenever I bring my lunch box to the café people stare at me like there is a lion escaped from the goddamn zoo.  I swear to God their glares are really scary. Oh, I have a story on the topic of staring! Mind if I share it with you?

"Once, there was a fellow student (my classmate said he is our senior) suddenly walked straight to me and stared at the food I was holding – very closely! Then he left. I’ll tell you, it was totally disturbing. I got traumatized for a while because of that particular incident. I only ate sandwiches during the staring moment, what’s so bizarre about the typical edible stuffs?! – The End –"

Preparing my own lunch box reminds me of Mom; how she loves to make sure we eat properly. Mom said she’s not a good cook unlike other mothers but the foods are good enough for me. Mom doesn't put MSG in her cooking. Plus, her vegetables dishes are always fresh and still crunchy. 

To me, Mom’s cooking is a symbol of her love and care for her daughters. It is the taste that I always miss when I’m away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment